Babies under 12 weeks
Employers seeking approval to employ children under 12 weeks of age need to have exceptional circumstances that require the employment of an infant.
If you feel that you have exceptional circumstances, you will need to:
In your variation request you must demonstrate that:
- the presence of a baby under 12 weeks is essential to the plot, story or image
- there is no possibility of using a substitute, such as a baby over 12 weeks
- you have policies and procedures that show how you will manage COVID transmission risks in the general workplace
- you have a specific COVID management plan for the parent and baby for the entire time they will be on set
Phone: (02) 8219 3797 (leave a voicemail message)
Fax: (02) 8219 3699
The children's employment team is not able to answer phone enquiries during COVID-19 restrictions. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at (02) 8219 3797. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Check whether an organisation or individual has an authority
The Quick Guide to Employing Children contains everything employers need to know when employing children.
What do employers need to do?
Apply for an authority to employ children
You are required to hold an authority if you direct a child to perform tasks for payment or material benefit or you are an industry student who directs children in paid or unpaid activities. Apply for an authority
From 1 July 2021, refunds will not be issued for authority application fees. When applying, select the type and duration of your authority with care and make sure that your organisation does not already hold a valid certificate.
Notify child employment, 7 days in advance
At least seven days before a child is involved in your production, you will need to tell us how you will be employing the child and how you will keep them safe. Send your online notification form
Submit a child details form
At least 48 hours before children are employed, email your completed child details form to email@example.com Complete your child details form(XLSX 52KB)
Comply with the Code of Practice
Employers of children are required to comply with the Code of Practice under the children's employment legislation. The Code of Practice helps protect the safety, health and wellbeing of children while they are employed in the entertainment industry. Download the Code of Practice and Regulation
The Regulation applies when you employ children:
- under 15 years of age in the entertainment and exhibition, still photography and door-to-door sales industries
- under 16 years of age for any type of modelling
- who are being paid either in money or material benefit
It also applies to children who are not being paid when there is a mix of paid and unpaid children engaged.