• Decrease font size
  • Increase font size
  • Print Page
  • Print to PDF

Proof of identity - what you will need

The Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) has imposed proof-of-identity requirements for anyone applying for or renewing their Working with Children Check. ACIC requires these higher standards to minimise the risk of identity theft and to further protect the safety of children. These changes came into effect on 1 December 2019.

Our online application and renewal process requires you to enter four identification documents. After you have lodged your application online, you need to attend a Service NSW centre with the original documents to have your identity verified and pay your fee (if applicable). Your email receipt will have more information about next steps. 

There is an alternative proof of identity process available for authorised carers (foster carers) and their adult household members. Further information on the alternative proof of identity process.

    Types of document you will need

    You need to provide four identification documents:

    • One commencement of identity document
    • One primary use in the community document
    • Two secondary use in community document

    The identification documents you provide must be original, current, physical documents and must include at least one photo ID. Laminated documents cannot be accepted by Service NSW.

    Examples of the documents you need are below. The combination of the identity documents collected must contain the applicant’s:

    • Full name (first, middle and family name)
    • Date of birth
    • Photograph 

    The identification documents you provide must include your current, full name. If your identification documents show different names, you must also provide evidence of your name change in addition to the four identification documents.

    This includes, if you have:

    • A maiden name
    • Ever changed your name
    • A name that was anglicised on your arrival to Australia
    • Ever provided a different name to any government agency in Australia.

    You need to provide evidence of the change which can include:

    • A change of name certificate issued by Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
    • An Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted).
    • Deed Poll.

    Commencement of identity documents

    Provide one of the below (first, middle and family name):

    • Full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card)
    • Current Australian passport (not expired)
    • Australian Visa current at the time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist supported by current overseas passport*
    • Current ImmiCard issued by Department of Home Affairs (previously the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) that enables the cardholder to prove their visa and/or migration status and enrol in services*
    • Current certificate of identity issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia
    • Current document of identity issued by DFAT to Australian citizens or people who have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes.
    • An Australian naturalisation or citizenship document (including Citizenship by Descent) issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

    * If you don’t have evidence of your current visa contact the Australian Department of Home Affairs https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/

    Primary use in the community documents

    Provide one of the below (must have your first and family name)

    • Current Australian driver licence, learner permit or provisional licence issued by a state or territory, showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed
    • Current passport issued by a country other than Australia supported by your current Australian visa document
    • Current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agency in the name of the applicant, with a signature and photo
    • Current shooters or firearms licence showing a signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or licence)

    Secondary use in the community documents

    Provide two of the below (one document must include family name and your first given name in full)

    • Current Medicare card
    • Current security guard or crowd control photo licence
    • Evidence of current right to an Australian government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs). Card or interim letter are suitable evidence, statements will not be accepted.
    • Current consular photo identity card issued by DFAT
    • Current photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force
    • Current Police force ID card issued to an officer by a police force
    • Current Australian tertiary or secondary student photo identity document (if it does not have an expiry date and has only issue date, accepted up to two years from the date of issue)
    • Academic transcript from an Australian university up to 12 months from date of issue
    • Current credit or account card issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International displaying the applicant’s family name and first name in full and signature
    • State or territory government rates assessment notice up to 12 months old
    • Australian Utility bill showing the applicant’s name and address up to 12 months old
    • Bank statement or letter up to 12 months old, issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International including the applicant's family name and first name in full, account number or account type, and financial institute letterhead or financial institute branch stamp.

    Note: to use more than one bank or credit card as a secondary use in the community document, the cards must be from different institutions. A bank card and bank statement can be used from the same institution or account.

    If you do not have access to the types of documents listed above, please contact our customer services team by calling 02 8219 3777 or going to our Contact us page.

    Legitimate reasons do not include:

    • You find the proof-of-identity process inconvenient or time-consuming
    • You do not understand the identity requirements: contact us and we will help you understand what is required
    • You have lost or damaged your documents, or they have expired: you will need to replace or renew them first or use alternative documents

    Note: If you were born in Australia and do not have a commencement document, please obtain a birth certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state or territory where you were born (unless you have evidence that your birth was not registered).