• Decrease font size
  • Increase font size
  • Print Page
  • Print to PDF

Help to apply, renew and update


This section has information about applying for the first time, renewing after five years, updating your contact details and more. Videos and printable resources are available on our resources page.

For more about the process and the outcomes of the Working with Children Check go to: Application process. 

Translation and other support services are under the Help section. 

Keep your confirmation emails

When you apply, keep your confirmation emails. The exact name on your application needs to be used to update your details and when you renew in five years' time. The email you receive when you are cleared has these details, as well as your Working with Children Check number for future reference. 

The Working with Children Check is an online system and does not have a physical card or certificate. 


Applying WWCC

If you are renewing your Working with Children Check after five years, please renew, do not reapply.

Step 1: Fill in the online form. You will be sent an application number by email.

Step 2: Take your email receipt and proof of identity documents to a Service NSW centre. You show a printout of your application email receipt or show the receipt on your phone. If you didn't provide an email address in your application, you will need to print the receipt that is on your screen immediately after lodging the application.

Paid workers will pay a fee of $80. For volunteers, the Check is free.

Once you have done this, give your application APP number to your employer. They can then verify your application and let us know that you are working for them.

If you do not verify your proof of identity and pay the applicable fee at a Service NSW centre within 28 days, your online application number will expire.

More information on proof of identity requirements

Find your nearest Service NSW Centre

Step 3: You will receive an email once the process has been completed. If you are granted a clearance, you will receive a Working with Children Check WWC number. Give this number to your employer to verify in our system.

Paid or volunteer worker

If you work or volunteer with children, you may need a Working with Children Check. Use the information on Who needs a Working with Children Check to confirm.

If you are in paid work, you must apply for a Check for paid workers. A volunteer Check is not valid for paid work.

Only paid workers are required to pay $80 for a five-year clearance. This is the lowest fee for a Working with Children Check in Australia.

There is no refund once you have applied for your Check. If you become barred, withdraw your application, select "paid" by mistake on your application form,  or fail to disclose a maiden name – or any previous or alias names – you will not receive a refund.

If you begin paid work, you will have 30 days from the date you begin that work to upgrade to a Check for paid workers which you can do using the Update your details form. You can then take your Check number to a NSW Service Centre and pay the $80 application fee.

The Check is free for:

  • volunteers
  • students over 18 on professional placement
  • potential adoptive parents
  • authorised carers (foster carers and other authorised carers of children in statutory and supported out-of-home care)
  • adults who reside in the home of an authorised carer, a family day care service provider, or home-based education and care service provider.

Services centre locations

Once you have applied online, you need to prove your identity and pay (if you are a paid worker) for your Check at a Service NSW Centre.

Locations for Service NSW Centres including Council agencies

Accepted identification documents

Types of document you will need

  • One commencement of identity document (such as birth certificate)
  • One primary use in the community document (such as driver licence)
  • Two secondary use in community document (such as Medicare card and bank card)

More information on proof of identity requirements

Overseas and interstate applicants

The NSW Working with Children Check is only applicable in NSW.

The application process can only be done in NSW as payment and identity checks must be done at a Service NSW Centre.

The only exception is for authorised carers and adult household members of authorised carers who live interstate.

Information your employer needs from you

Make sure you give your employer your application APP number when you apply and then your Working with Children Check WWC number when you receive it. People in child-related work in the education sector must provide a WWC number to engage in child-related work.

Find your Check number

The first thing to do is check your emails. Search your email inbox for "WWCCNotification" to find the email notification you received when your WWC number was issued.

You can also find your WWC or APP number online by providing your name as completed on the application form along with your date of birth and driver licence number. The emails you received when you first applied and when your clearance was confirmed will have your name as you submitted.

When you update, renew or request your Check number you will be sent an email. Remember to also check your junk or spam folders.

Renew three months before expiry

If you have a valid WWC number that is due to expire, or has expired, you should renew your Working With Children Check, do not re-apply.

Please renew as soon as possible so that your Working with Children Check does not expire before your renewal application is processed.

When your renewal application has been processed, you will be sent an email to confirm your WWC number and new expiry date.

Give these details to the employer, organisation or parent who engages you to work with children. They will need to re-verify your renewed WWC number and new expiry date.

Previously risk assessed and cleared?

If you have no new criminal or workplace records since you received your clearance, it’s unlikely you will need to be risk assessed again.

However, the Office of the Children’s Guardian may conduct another risk assessment if you have recorded new criminal or workplace records, or the Children’s Guardian receives new information relevant to the safety of children.

The Children’s Guardian will let you know if another risk assessment is required when you renew. Be aware this could take longer than three months. If this happens you will need to provide your employer with your Application number.

Please note that some employers have a policy of not allowing workers to work with children using the Application (APP) number and require that you have a clearance (WWC) number.

No refund

Once the $80 fee has been paid, there is no refund.

If you apply twice, become barred, withdraw your application, select "paid" by mistake on your application form, fail to disclose a maiden name, or any previous or alias names, you will not receive a refund.

Information about the fee is in the terms and conditions provided before completing the online application form.