• Decrease font size
  • Increase font size
  • Print Page
  • Print to PDF

Contact us

Top three questions about the Working with Children Check

Do I need a Working with Children Check?

The Working with Children Check is for people who work directly with children, in areas of work specified as child-related work, or work in a designated role as stated in the legislation.

There are several exemptions to the requirement to get a Working with Children Check, and these are set out in the Child Protection (Working with Children) Regulation 2013.

We encourage individuals and their employers to determine if and when a Working with Children Check is required. We provide information on our website to help at www.ocg.nsw.gov.au/check

How do I get a Working with Children Check?

The first step is to do your Working with Children Check application online by going to www.ocg.nsw.gov.au/check

Once your application form has been completed online, you will be given an application (APP) number.

The second step is to take your application number along with proof of identity to a NSW Motor Registry, RMS Agency, or Service NSW service centre. Find a location at www.service.nsw.gov.au/service-centre

Paid workers will pay a fee of $80. For volunteers, the Working with Children Check is free.

Finally, you will receive an email once the Working with Children Check has been completed.

What proof of identity documents do I need to provide?

Once you have completed your application online, you must take your email receipt along with the necessary proof of identity documents to a Service NSW centre to finalise your application or renewal. You can either print out your application email receipt, or just show the receipt on your phone.

The identification documents you provide must be original, hard copy documents and must include at least one photo ID.

Types of document you will need

  • One commencement of identity document (such as birth certificate)
  • One primary use in the community document (such as driver licence)
  • Two secondary use in community document (such as Medicare card and bank card)

More information on proof of identity requirements

Correspondence and email policy

Before sending us your enquiry, please read our Correspondence and email policy (PDF 157.6KB)

Your enquiry
Your contact details - so we can get back to you
Additional information - Working With Children Check enquiry
To help us serve you more quickly, please provide any additional information you can using the fields below

Mandatory field(s) marked with *

Report a concern


Working with Children Check Customer Service Team
(02) 8219 3777

(02) 8219 3600

Reportable Conduct 
(02) 8219 3800

Media enquiries (media enquiries from journalists only)
(02) 9286 7239 or 0413 452 498

Postal address

Office of the Children's Guardian
Locked Bag 5100
Strawberry Hills NSW 2012

ABN: 43 304 920 597